Tom McDonald & Associates offer a complete professional service to the forestry sector in relation to the Sale & Valuation of Forestry Lots.
Tom McDonald is one of the Authors of 'A Guide to the Valuation of Commercial Plantations' . He is also one of the primary organisers and individuals in the collation and production of 'The Irish Forestry Land Market' published by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland.
We offer For Sale by Private Treaty or Public Auction on a regular basis growing Woodlots and Forest Land.
Our services are: INDEPENDENT, PROFESSIONAL, TRUSTED.
Irish Forestry, Key Facts:
• Forest trees began recolonising Ireland following the end of the last glacial stage 10,000 years ago. Analysis of pollen from peat bogs illustrates the establishment of forests that once covered 80% of the land surface.
• The area of forest is estimated to be 770,020 ha or 11% of the total land area of Ireland (National Forest Inventory 2017).
• Forest cover is estimated to be at its highest level in over 350 years.
• Of the total forest area, 391,357 ha or 50.8% is in public ownership, mainly Coillte.
• The forest estate is comprised of 71% conifers and 29% broadleaves.
• Nearly three quarters of the stocked forest area is less than 30 years of age.
• Since 1980 nearly 20,000 landowners have availed of supports to plant forestry. The average sized forest holding established since then is 12.7 hectares.
• The breakdown of private lands afforested between 1980 and 2012 indicates that 85% of the forest owners are classified as farmers, which equates to 82% of the area afforested in this time period.
A Guide To The Valuation of Commercial Forestry Plantations.
Forest Statistics Ireland 2021.